Home
 



In 1214, Baron Nicolas de Rumigny founded the village of Signy in a forested region, which until that time had only been sparsely inhabited (Gland hamlet, 1132).

A frontier village, Signy, which later became known as "Signy-Le-Petit", often suffered the ravages of war : it was burnt down in 1340, devastated in 1521, and torched and had its church destroyed in 1636.


In the 16th century, the Seigniory of Signy belonged to the Stavelle family, which made efforts to develop local industry : blast furnaces, forges, glass kilns, and mills.
The SAHFFF factory thus originated with the blast furnace established around 1550.
The Church, featuring typical fortification work, was rebuilt from 1680 to 1686, and many of the local houses date from the early 18th century.
The seigniorial domain, which remained intact during the time of the French Revolution, passed into the ownership of the Barrachin family early in the 19th century.

Around 1840, Signy was a village with 2,300 inhabitants, nearly 1,000 of whom were scattered around various hamlets devoted to agricultural activities, and was a minor commercial and artisanal centre (breweries, mills, potteries, brickworks, etc.).
But the Industrial Revolution of the 19th century prompted urban drift: slowly but surely the various hamlets became depopulated, and one by one the various artisanal operations shut down. At the same time, the establishment of 3 secondary smelting foundries (employing over 400 workers in 1900) accentuated the industrial character of the village and facilitated the development of a strictly working class population.
For many years the municipal authorities had to conduct administrative battles with the French military, which prevented the laying of permanent roads to the frontier. The present-day road network was gradually established between 1850 and 1890.

Modernisation work was carried out in the village, particularly clearing access between the church and the village square, and work on realigning streets.

The two World Wars resulted in the village being occupied by the Germans for extended periods, but no major damage occurred.
After 1945, Signy found itself facing the same problems experienced by many other rural municipalities, particularly those in the Ardennes: depopulation of the hamlets due to changes in the agricultural sector, and the closure of the foundries, which led to young people leaving and the local population growing older.

Through a daring yet difficult change in its line of business, SAHFFF, with its creation of the "Olfa" brand, managed to survive as a centre of industrial activity in the village.

Since then, two new industrial operations have been set up. These, and in particular a concerted drive to promote Tourism by developing Signy’s natural resources, offer promising prospects in years to come.
EMAIL :