Home
 



Signy Church was built in the 17th century, after its predecessor had been burnt down by the Spaniards in 1636.


Construction work took 6 years, from 1680 to 1686, as demonstrated by the dates to be found, firstly on the tower façade (1680), and secondly above a machicolation (1686).

Back to top
The church is shaped like a Latin cross 36 metres (118 ft) long, 10.66 metres (35 ft) wide at the nave, and 12 metres (39 ft) high under the vaults. The steeple is 30 metres (98.4 ft) high.
Back to top
The walls, which are 3 metres (10 ft) thick at the base of the tower, are made of quartz schist. Through the gate tower, which is flanked by two bartizans with pepper box watch turrets, you walk below the brick vaulted nave, ribbed in yellow stonework.

The building is both a church and a strongpoint, built in days when people could still remember being invaded. It features prominenty in the Tierache circuit of Fortified Churches.
Back to top
This is a large rock made of quartzite, shaped like a table, located in Gland Valley near the old road running between Signy and Brognon.

The cavity dug into the surface and the stepped exits at the back have led to the presumption that they were cut by human hands. This cavity is also peculiar in that it is filled with water, even during intense droughts.Although there is no proof, some people hold that it is a druids’ altar.Others hold that the stagnating water works well against eczema...

Back to top
Legend would have it that during a procession, a statue of the Virgin Mary brought from Gland to Brognon was placed on the rock and subsequently it proved impossible to lift it.
The place became the object of local worship, with vows and offerings being made there, and became known as the "Virgin Stone".
Back to top
Gland hamlet is the oldest local settlement known through historical records.
In 1132, Baron de Rumigny made a donation to local monks to perform a regular religious service in the chapel which was constructed there. Later, the service passed to the offices of Bucilly Abbey.
In the 18th century, as the chapel had fallen into ruin, the service was transferred to the Chateau de Signy.
Back to top
This is one of the oldest roads in Signy.


Known as the "Chemin d'Antheny à Gland", it was in use as early as 1214, as it is mentioned as a village boundary line in its charter.
Back to top
EMAIL :